Vancouver Island is a beautiful place to RV and for a lot of families, it can be tough to find the right RV park. Some campgrounds on the Island are geared toward seniors (which is absolutely fantastic!) but for families looking for someplace fun to explore the Pacific Rim National Park Reserve and Tofino, the best RV Park is Crystal Cove Beach Resort.
Located just a little over 3 km outside of the town of Tofino, Crystal Cove Beach Resort is located on beautiful MacKenzie Beach. We’ve been residents of the park since October 2016 and love what this RV park has to offer. While we don’t have children, we do know how important it is for RV’ers with children to have the right amenities for the little ones.
Crystal Cove Beach Resort has a lot of fun on-site and there are plenty of things to do off-site to have a fun family RV’ing experience.
How great is Crystal Cove Beach Resort? We decided to come up with a list of reasons why you definitely will want to book your next family camping trip here at Crystal Cove Beach Resort. We could easily list more than 19 reasons why you need to stay at Crystal Cove Beach Resort, but we want you to discover some of the amazing experiences all on your own. Now, here’s our list.
- A Small Park that is Steps from the Ocean. Crystal Cove Beach Resort has less than 100 RV sites and is just steps to the Pacific Ocean on the beautiful sandy MacKenzie Beach. In the summertime, the water warms up just enough to swim in, although we warn you, it is still pretty cold! But if you are ready for a refreshing swim and having a blast making sandcastles, this beach is perfect for you. Make sure you take some time at low tide to explore the intertidal zone. There are plenty of sea stars and other creatures that will delight children of all ages.
- Central Location. Crystal Cove Beach Resort is a 40-minute walk, 15-minute bike ride, 7-minute drive, or in July & August a 15-minute free shuttle ride to the town of Tofino. The District of Tofino’s Multi-Use Path is a safe way of getting into town or heading out of town to visit the stunning Chesterman Beach or Cox Bay. Crystal Cove Beach Resort even has a bike rental service that comes right to the resort and drops off a bike for you and the kiddos complete with helmets.
- Playground. Crystal Cove Beach Resort has a playground that not only children at the resort love, but local children come to play on as well. There is a pirate ship, a swing set, a tetherball, chalkboard, slides and a sandbox. This playground is enjoyed by children of all ages.
- Campfires. Depending upon the conditions on Vancouver Island, a campfire is typically permitted at your site and also down at MacKenzie Beach. Get out the marshmallow roasting sticks and enjoy some smores with the family or enjoy a gathering around the fire and watch the sun go down. There is also affordable firewood available for purchase on-site.
- Family Atmosphere. The campground is definitely family-friendly. There is an 11 pm quiet time policy, which also includes no loud music at any time. If you are looking to party and be loud, this is not the place. Crystal Cove Beach Resort prides itself on being a fun and quiet environment for its guests.
- Bean at the Cove – Starbucks. In the summer, Bean at the Cove has yummy pastries, cookies and candy. There is also soft-serve ice cream that you can treat yourself to on those lovely sunny days. Mom and Dad can also enjoy complimentary Starbucks coffee and tea as guests of the resort.
- Water. Some campgrounds have awful tasting water. Crystal Cove Beach Resort has great water so you can happily bring your refillable water bottle and continuously enjoy Tofino’s great tasting water. This water is cold and delicious and comes from the District Of Tofino’s reservoir that is treated rainwater.
- WiFi. There is free wifi throughout the park whether you’re at your site, the shower house, the office or even parts of MacKenzie Beach you can get the signal.
- DVD & Game Rentals. Remember going to a Blockbuster video store and renting some movies to enjoy with some popcorn? Well, Crystal Cove Beach Resort has a great up-to-date DVD collection with plenty of children’s movies, or mom and dad can pick one from the comedy, drama, horror or action movies. If your RV doesn’t have a DVD player, there are plenty of board games to pick from so you can sit around the RV dinette and play one of your favourite games. Choose from classics like Scrabble, Monopoly, Battleship, Connect Four or one of the newer games.
- Laundry Facilities. Don’t worry if you get your clothes all muddy on one of the local trails. Crystal Cove Beach Resort can help you out. Coin-operated washers and dryers are on site and the office has soap and dryer sheets for purchase if you need those as well.
- Free and Clean Showers. Both the men’s and women’s washrooms are newly renovated (as of early 2020) and have nice roomy showers that aren’t spider-infested like some other campgrounds. The showers are also free which allows you to have a nice relaxing shower without having to worry about bringing your change purse.
- Pancake Breakfasts. Crystal Cove Beach Resort management and staff love pancakes and so do all of their guests. On select weekends like Canada Day, Mothers Day, Fathers Day and Easter the resort celebrates with a free pancake breakfast complete with sausages and your choice of Starbucks coffee or tea. It’s a great way to get together and meet your RV neighbours.
- Santa Visits the Cove. For those that love to try out West Coast winter camping during December, you get a chance to meet up with Santa at Crystal Cove Beach Resort. He takes time out of his busy schedule before Christmas and visits the Cove on weekends in December. Get a picture taken with Santa and feel free to bring along the fur babies too.
- Glampers. Don’t have an RV? Crystal Cove Beach Resort offers Glamping RV’s that includes everything except your food. That’s right, you bring the family and enjoy a fully stocked Glamping RV. The Glamping RV’s come with pots, pans, linens, cable tv, wifi, bbq, a fire pit and outside chairs. Glamping RV’s comfortably sleep 2 adults and 2 children.
- Pet-Friendly. Have a pooch? Dogs are welcomed on leashes around the resort and inside the resort office. Make sure you visit the office and the staff will spoil your furry friend with a treat.
- Crystal Cove Beach Resort Staff. The managers and staff of Crystal Cove Beach Resort are friendly and helpful. If you need help trying to decide where to go or where to eat, the friendly front desk staff can help you out. You will also notice the staff are constantly cleaning and the landscaping staff are making it a beautiful place to stay. There is also security on site every night if you need anything at all.
- The RV Sites. We’ve stayed at RV sites all across Canada and we can say the sites at Crystal Cove Beach Resort are some of the best. All sites are full hook up and almost all sites offer greenery and trees so that you are not looking at your neighbour’s RV. Each site has a fire pit and a good sturdy picnic table. The property is also landscaped with stunning flowers, bushes, and lots of trees, including some old-growth trees. You’ll have a difficult time finding a more stunning looking resort.
- Storm Watching. Looking for a Canadian based winter destination? The weather on Vancouver Island allows you to camp comfortably throughout the weather. Rarely does the temperature dip below freezing. It does rain a lot, though, and there are some big storms that are incredible to witness. Many people travel long distances to come and observe the massive waves pound along the shoreline. Crystal Cove Beach Resort is open year-round and they offer a winter Snowbird special.
- Lots to Explore & Eat! When you visit Tofino there’s plenty to do and eat, whether you want to get on the water or enjoy a day at the beach, there is always something to do in Tofino. Not only is there lots to do in Tofino but there is a plethora of incredible restaurants to enjoy if you want to take a night off from cooking in the RV. Whether it’s a certain activity or a restaurant recommendation, the front-desk staff at Crystal Cove Beach Resort will happily assist you in having a perfect day out in Tofino. Crystal Cove Beach Resort also has a bunch of partners that offer guests special discounts for activities like whale & bear watching, surfing, kayaking, etc…
- Whale Watching. Crystal Cove Beach Resort has many partners who offer whale watching excursions. Get out into Clayoquot Sound and see grey whales, possibly orcas or humpbacks. You will likely also see sea lions, seals and sea otters. Some of the operators even have RV parking which is perfect if you have a motorhome!
- Bear Watching. With 10,000 black bears on Vancouver Island, you wouldn’t want to miss the opportunity to see a bear at low tide eating crabs. Get on a bear watching excursion that takes you out in a boat to see these beautiful animals having a feast.
- Surfing or Stand Up Paddle Boarding. Whether you just want the kids to have a lesson or the whole family, Tofino has some of the best surfing and Stand Up Paddle Boarding waters in Canada.
- Sea Kayaking. Tofino and Clayoquot Sound has some of the best sea kayaking in Canada. You can kayak over to Meares Island to visit the majestic old-growth rainforest or paddle around the small islands in the harbour and enjoy the intertidal zone. Anyone ages 5 and up is welcome to join a tour and no experience is necessary.
- Pacific Rim National Park Reserve. Grab the kids and explore one of the amazing short trails in the national park. The longest trail is about 2km. Learn about the temperate rainforests or go beachcombing at Long Beach or one of the many other beaches in the park. There is so much to do in the park you could easily spend a week exploring.
- Amazing Food! All around Tofino there are amazing places to eat including Tacofino, Schooner Restaurant, Sobo, & The Great Room at Long Beach Lodge. Arrange a lunch or dinner at one of these great places and make sure you stop at Chocolate Tofino to try their delightful chocolates or homemade gelato. If mom and dad want a break, Tofino Food Tours even offers a food tour that gives Crystal Cove Beach Resort guests a 15% discount. Use promo code: CrystalCove15 when booking online.
Honestly, there’s a reason why we haven’t left Tofino since we arrived in 2016 and a big part of that is Crystal Cove Beach Resort. It’s just such a wonderful place to bring your RV with so many activities to always keep you busy.
If you want to book an RV site give the front desk team at Crystal Cove Beach Resort a call at 1.877.725.4213. The resort office is open 7-days a week from 8.30 am to 10 pm. You can also check out more about the resort at crystalcove.ca
*The one thing we do want to warn you about is that you need to book ahead. Tofino and Crystal Cove Beach Resort are both super popular destinations, especially during the summer. To avoid disappointment, make sure you pick up the phone and give the Crystal Cove Beach Resort office a call and get your site booked. Sites for July/August often book a year in advance. *